Friday, October 28, 2016

Week before Halloween

If no one has told you, math is everywhere. The students are now discovering this for themselves. I have heard numerous students share with me things like...

" While I was at my MMSC meeting, my coach was using RATIOS!"

"I was listening to the news, and the news guy was using ratios in his story"

In addition to these wonderful quotes, one of my students was making an observation on some math work being done by an adult. There was interesting conversations about the neatness and accuracy of this adult's math (a grad student). I was so excited to hear that our 6th grade student was concerned about this grad student's work and had asked his mom, "What would Mrs. Emory say?"

These examples are so exciting to hear about, because it tells me that our kids are thinking and making connections to what is happening in our classes and extending the learning into their world. ((SO AWESOME))

I have also asked students to share pictures with me for my blog. I would love to see more examples of math in our world.

In Language Arts we read the book "Boys in the Boat" by Daniel James Brown. This is such a wonderful book. Today the class presented their understanding of the book. The students needed to be able to identify a possible theme of the book, cite evidence to support their claim and provide a visual. We had an amazing share this morning and here are a few of the visuals that students made.




No comments:

Post a Comment